Sunday, April 18, 2010

our girl is baptized

Today Kendall was baptized at CTK. Baptism brings with it an element of mystery and hope bound up in a wrapping of faith and grace. In baptism Shelby and I are stating that Kendall belongs to God, to a believing family and to God’s church. We’re also acknowledging that we need to lean on promises God gives in connecting our girl to Jesus in this way. We’ve promised to raise Kendall in the church, to set a Godly example for her, and to pray with and for her.

Most importantly, we acknowledge the need that our daughter has for God’s grace through the cleansing blood of Christ, and we have promised to teach Kendall of the need she has for our Savior, the God who loves her so dearly. We look forward in faith to the day when our girl will profess her own faith. As part of the ceremony all of the church members promise to help us in this endeavor. I’m so glad we’re not in this alone, and I think that I feel the weight of this even more with two children than I did when we only had Riley.

Here’s video of Kendall being baptized for those who were not able to be there:



We love our God, and we love our girl.


Jonathan

1 comment:

Melissa Vanden Bout said...

Awwwww. I was just telling Luke tonight about when he was baptized at CTK, and about what that means, and how we all sang to him.

So glad your little girl is growing up in a family that loves God. (And somehow I'm very, very sure that your kids won't have any difficulty relating to God as their Father, or connecting to a God who watches over them as ceaselessly as a mother with her nursling. Not with you two as their mom and dad.)

So happy for you! I just sang a round of "Jesus loves (you)" for Kendall, since I couldn't be there in person to share your joy.