Wednesday, April 18, 2007

the lost art of sleeping

I’m getting a lot of looks of pity from co-workers, now that I’m Great With Child. I guess I’m looking tired now that my pace has slowed to a crawl. I am tired – I’m often up for a couple of hours a night as the aches keep me up more than they used to. I try to use it to read up on stuff. Three nights ago, I was reading the Nolo Will Maker instructions. Last night, it was handouts on immunizations and car seat installation. It eventually helps me to go back to sleep – for my usual 60-90 min increments.

So if you’re driving by our house at 2am and the living room light is on, you’ll know why.

Shelby

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh, Shelby. It'll be so much more fun in a few weeks when you've got a little man in your arms. 2 am is sometimes my favorite time of day with Nathanael in my arms. :)

Robert Talbert said...

This is commonly known as "practice".

You'll be finding lots of things to keep your mind occupied in the 12-3 AM time slot for the next few months. While trying to get our now-3-year old to sleep when she was an infant, for example, I invented a way to count from 1 to 32 on one hand and learned how to factor four-digit numbers in my head in under a minute (which is an excellent way to get yourself to sleep, by the way -- way better than counting sheep).

At least, you should hope it's just for the next few months... I'm just wrapping up a night where I was awake with our 3-year old from 12:00 to 4:00 AM with her throwing a top-volume screaming tantrum the ENTIRE TIME because she didn't want to go back to sleep.

Sleep deprivation due to children really, really sucks... but it's also a legitimate way we parents pay our dues and it definitely tests your mental toughness and your ability to rely upon grace when you brain just isn't working.