Thursday, October 18, 2007

fun at work with daddy

Childcare is a challenging thing at best. I don’t really like leaving my kid with someone who isn’t family, and I hate to see all that money go out the door (fortunately Diane’s is a good place and Riley is happy and safe there.) We faced a new challenge today though: Diane was sick and couldn’t work.

I got a call from Shelby while I was at my business networking meeting this morning. Since I knew that she was going to the doctor to have Riley’s “eye boogers” checked out (he’s on an antibiotic eye cream now and may have had conjunctivitis for the last week) I ran out to get the phone call. The good news: his eye will no longer be contagious as of tomorrow. The bad news: we had to figure out what we were going to do with our boy since Thursday is Shelby’s busiest day of the workweek.

It was an easy decision for me, since I don’t get to see Riley at all on a normal Thursday. He was coming to spend the day at the office with Daddy! The day was looking up. So I drove down to Danvers to meet Shelby and pick up my boy.

We had a great time today. He sat in his Bumbo seat and watched me adjust patients, we played (when I normally would have been getting office work done), I got to show him off at the hair salon next door, I changed a poopy diaper of biblical proportions (see description from Ghostbusters) and Riley got a couple of decent naps in. One of the funniest parts of the day was when I put him on a fleece blanket on the floor to play while I worked on patients. He became “High Energy Boy” kicking and waving his arms and talking up a storm. I wish I had a camera to take some video. His performance was enjoyed by all. We ended the father and son day with some quiet cuddle time just before Momma came to pick him up and take him home.

Thursday is generally my slowest day, so it was easy to care for my boy. This shows us that in a pinch I can take Riley to work and still function in my job (at least until he becomes more mobile, that is.) The most important thing though, (for Daddy) was:

This was my most fun Thursday at work ever!

I love my boy!


Jonathan

3 comments:

Lisa said...

This entry is just too cute. J- this was your dream, To show your boy off at work.

lee lee said...

how fun! What a good baby to hang out for all those hours.

The Bergs said...

He is a good baby. I am quite the show-off as well. It was a really fun day. As much as I hope that Diane doesn't have sick days in the future, I would love to have Riley back in the office with me again. Especially on a Thursday...