Friday, March 12, 2010

t minus 6 days (at most)

The ironic thing about being put on bed rest is that my time spent in the birth center, lab & hospital goes up considerably due to all the tests I’m subjected to. Tuesday, I spent 3 hours there and yesterday I was gone for 5 hours, primarily due to another u/s. Thankfully, all tests are coming back with the results we had hoped for – Kendall’s doing well and I’ve only got hypertension at this point. They’ll test us both again on Monday.

My blood pressure continues to be high however, even on bed rest. In light of this, I had a long talk with my mid-wife on Thursday. I shared my concern that as my history with Riley is repeating itself with Kendall, I’m not comfortable bringing my pregnancy to 39 weeks, as that was when Riley suffered fetal distress that led to his stroke. As much as I was hoping to avoid a C-section and have the experience of a natural childbirth, I don’t want to put Kendall at risk of experiencing anything that Riley did, if it was at all related to my hypertension.

So I asked her if we could plan on a repeat C-section later on next week, if I don’t go into labor before then. She consulted with the obstetrician and he agreed to it. So, we have a birth day scheduled for Thursday, March 18th. I’ll be 38 weeks and 3 days at that point. Ideally, they like to see me go to 39 weeks to ensure optimal lung maturation, but they’re willing to do it 4 days early due to my history, current condition and that girl’s lungs tend to mature faster than boy’s do. Yep, that girls-mature-faster-than-boys thing starts in utero, apparently. Mom thinks it's due to their desire to communicate as early as possible!

It’s good to know that the end is near and that we’ll get to see Kendall-girl very soon. Can I get a woo hoo??!!

Shelby