Monday, May 17, 2010

mother's day(s)

We actually celebrate Mother's Day in two stages. The first is on Mother's Day weekend when we take a trip down to CT to see my Mom and the second is the following weekend when we do a 'celebration' just for Shelby.

This year we added on a side trip with a stop to visit some friends who have recently relocated to CT not too far from Mom. We miss the Davis family very much and it's great to have an excuse to get together. We also got to show off our baby girl, and Riley got a chance to play with Ivy who was beyond excited to see him (her mom told us she was saying, "He's my boy!")

Riley also had his first, 'sleepover' on the inflatable mattress with Ivy. Ivy wasn't quite ready for Riley's desire to snuggle with her (our boy has no knowledge of what personal space is and actually likes being as close as is possible to other kids.) She didn't want to abandon the bed with Riley however:

Tired kids after a late night play time















Baby girl had a sleepover too
















The kids played together nearly every moment we were there. Ivy was also kind enough to lend Riley her pink sweatshirt on a colder than expected morning... Here's a picture and some video of jumping onto the inflatable mattress:

Nice air!















One, two, three...



After an amazing breakfast the next morning we were off to Mom's house. This was my Mom's first chance to see her new granddaughter and she was, to say the least, quite excited.

Grandma & Kendall















It was also the first chance for Kendall to meet her CT uncles Bruce and Drew (Bruce has an amazing way with babies) and also hang with her cousin Daniella:

Daniella and Binky Girl















It was a nice weekend and a great chance to show off our baby girl.

Mother's Day part two took place this weekend. I've always been of a mindset that there are a couple of celebrations where Shelby needs to have the focus on her alone. The first is her birthday (which is really close to Christmas. No Christmas / birthday celebrations allowed.) The second is Mother's Day. She does get a shared celebration at Mom's house, but I like to do something the following week as well.

For my Sweetie, any celebration means sushi! We went to Sato II, one of our favorite local spots. One of the things that we love about this place (aside from the great food) is how really sweet the waitresses are. They always dote on Riley and were equally as excited to see Kendall. How many restaurants are happy to see infants and small children? We love this place. Here are some pictures:

Mama and her boy














Daddy and his girl, who thankfully slept...















Mama's delicious lunch:

Seaweed salad















Sushi feast (with the best spicy tuna we've ever had)















Watch for little hands stealing fish eggs...















I'm thankful for the wonderful women the Lord has placed in my life. I have a mother who loves me and believes in me beyond anything I would ever expect. And I have a wife who exceeds any expectations I ever had of how a mom should raise her kids. Shelby loves our kids with the same kind of passion that I see in my Mom. My children and I have truly been blessed.


Jonathan

No comments: