Friday, August 31, 2007

adventures in sleeping

Riley has always been a good sleeper. I'd like to think that it's a combination of nature and nurture as we've taken specific steps to help him organize his sleep. Being a kid with active limbs, we've continued to swaddle him to help him calm down for bedtime & naptime. The challenge was keeping him swaddled. We handled once a night reswaddlings ok. After they increased in number -- several nights in a row -- I decided to go sans-swaddle and see how Riley did. I theorized that the swaddle had become a sleep prop – once it was undone, Riley woke up and called out to us.

Turns out, he sleeps just fine without being wrapped. Not a peep was heard between 8p-6a for the first 4 nights. The spell was broken last night, in which he woke up at 4:30 and would not settle down. So after trying 3 times to help him back to sleep, I took him out the couch with me where we both “rested” for the next hour. It’s what I do in desperate times, which I can count on one hand. Here’s hoping it’s just a fluke.

Now that he can move, we find him in various positions and locations in his crib.


Won't be long before the kid is rolling over...








He can only scoot so far--







We love our Riley boy!

Shelby

2 comments:

Robert Talbert said...

I know a lot of people, including us when Lucy was an infant, who would practically kill to have a single waking at 4:30 AM as the definition of "desperate times"! There were lots of times with Lucy when we had stretches of days at a time with at least 5 wakings a night and taking 30-60 minutes per waking to get her back down. So you've got a very good sleeper on your hands.

The Bergs said...

Yes, we lucked out in that respect! I was concerned about not creating sleep props so when I used "desparate" I was thinking of the rare times I give him the mommy bed to help quiet him down. Thankfully, it's not often enough for him to get used to it!