Friday, August 22, 2008

kefir

We've introduced Riley to Kefir ("KEY-Fur"), which he has been drinking instead of whole milk. It's a cultured milk drink that is similar to yogurt. I call it "milk with a kick". It's full of friendly bacteria and yeasts that is easy to digest. The flavored versions are more sour than the yogurt he drinks, so I mix it with some rice milk.

Most of the Kefir out there is a low-fat variety, but I found a whole-milk version at Whole Foods (there goes my weekly Starbucks drink!). When I was there yesterday to stock up on the Kefir, I saw these Kefir Smoothies and decided to try them out.














The packaging is cute -- they call them "ProBugs" and on the back it says this:

Ever heard of Peter ProBug? He's a good bacteria bug and his idea of fun is hanging out in your belly. What does he do down there? Well, since there's no TV, he watches for any bad bugs . When he sees them, he asks them to leave (using his "inside voice") so they can't bug you anymore. And your belly stays clean and healthy. Cool, huh?

Riley enjoyed the Orange Creamy Crawler flavor today:




























I love my healthy-eating boy!

Shelby

No comments: