Tuesday, November 27, 2007

6 months…postscript

As an addenda to my last blog, I took Riley in to the doc for his 6 month well visit and my boy is 16.25 lbs to date. That puts him in the 25th percentile, which was the same place he was last visit. I was hoping for 25th-50th, so I'm happy.

He’s 26-27 in long -- it’s hard to tell exactly. He squirms around so much, measurements are approximate. All I know is his pants from 2 months ago are too short, so I know there’s some growth happening there.

His head’s bigger too (17.25) and rounding out more now that he’s tummy sleeping.

My only question for the doc was about his decreasing formula feeding. Now that I’ve got him foods other than veggies and fruits, his formula consumption is down to 18-20 oz a day. I started giving him a breakfast of hard-boiled egg yolks, cheddar cheese and full-fat greek yogurt this weekend (which he LOVES) and as of this week he is eating avocado again. Our doc said that those foods are going to fill him up more and since they are full of the protein and fat that he needs for growth, it was ok if he was drinking less formula.

For someone who doesn’t enjoy cooking, I really like making purees for my boy and seeing him eat healthy. I got some great ideas from a lady in the UK named Annabel Karmel who’s written a lot of books on kid’s nutrition. Also, there’s a Harvard guy named W. Allan Walker that wrote a book that I’ll be referring to for the next 10+ years as I seek to influence my son’s food choices in a positive way.

Shelby

No comments: