Monday, November 5, 2007

hard providences

I hate leaving Riley in the morning but some days are worse than others. Today was one of those days at the office when I’d look at his picture and my eyes would well up with tears over the loss of time together. In the core of my being it just feels so wrong, and yet our need for insurance dictates that I stay at work. I don’t know why God wants me there -- I have to believe it’s for our good, tho’ it feels awful to me.

Tonight, I did something I never do – I rocked my son to sleep. I didn’t want to miss those last minutes with him. Makes me wish for heaven, “when disappointment, grief, and fear are gone, sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored”. This is what Scotty Smith called “hard providences”, those difficult situations when our faith is put to the test. Will we believe when those deeply held desires are denied fulfillment? I believe, but I need help with my unbelief.

Shelby

No comments: